Technical search engine optimization is a very important step in the entire SEO process. And if your website is not technically optimized, then it’s highly likely you won’t be able to get the desired result.
That’s why it’s crucial to understand the technical SEO process and how to implement the best practice as much as possible.
Read more as we are going to tackle the best practices for technical SEO in today’s article.
Technical SEO Explained
In essence, technical search engine optimization is the method of optimizing your site in terms of the indexing and crawling aspect. This process ensures that your website is accessible, easy to interpret, and index.
For those who are not really familiar with how Google ranks websites, allow us to explain it even further. Search engines like Google send web crawlers called “bots” or “spiders” to different pages on your site. These crawlers collect information so they can index your site and rank it in Google.
So basically, technical optimization ensures your website infrastructure is optimized to get better search engine rankings
What Are The Best Practices You Need To Follow?
Now we have already established how technical SEO works, let us now proceed on the best practices you need to follow to have a full-optimized website:
1. Specify A Domain – You need to choose a domain name for your website. In doing so, you are instructing Google to display the variation of the domain you want to use for the entire lifetime of your site.
For example: https://www.domainnameofyourwebsite.com
Now it doesn’t really matter if you include “www” or not. Just make sure Google clearly recognizes the structure of your domain name so that they’ll be able to properly display it during searches so that users will be able to access your website through your chosen domain name.
2. Optimize URL Structure – To do this, you need to:
- Use lowercase letters
- Use dash (-) to separate words in your URL
- Make it short and simple
- Avoid unnecessary characters
- Include target keywords without keyword stuffing
3. Optimize robots.txt – This file gives instructions to Google as to which web pages to be crawled and added to Google index. Just make sure there are no false blockings in the settings that might discourage web crawlers from indexing your site.
4. Optimize Site Structure And Navigation – Always ensure your web pages are properly archived and place all content in a single category. Likewise, you also need to take into account the navigation aspect as it not only helps the users to locate the information they want to see, but it also helps Google understand which content is important for the webmaster.
5. Other Important Considerations – And finally, here are the rest of the best technical SEO practices you need to follow:
- Add breadcrumb menus
- Structure SEO and data markup
- Check canonical URLs
- Optimize 404 page
- Optimize XML sitemap
- Add SSL to turn your website into “HTTPS”
- Optimize website speed
- Make your website mobile-friendly
- Use AMP
If you can’t implement these changes by yourself, you can try buying an on-page SEO services in marketplaces like Fiverr or Konker or you can also hire a freelancer to do this for you.